Table 2. Resources for argumentation in bioethics.
About the San People • Kruger National Park, Siyabona Africa, http://www.krugerpark.co.za/africa_bushmen.html
The San Code of Research
• Booklets, videos, articles, case studies, and other resources: http://trust-project.eu; http://trust-
• “International Genomics Research involving the San People” by Roger Chennells and Andries
• “Issues raised by use of ethnic-group names in genome study” by C. Schlebusch, Nature 464
(March 2010), https://www.nature.com/articles/464487a.pdf
Case Studies Hoodia, San people, benefit sharing, commercialism, projects:
8. Wynberg, R. (2004). Rhetoric, realism and benefit sharing: use of traditional knowledge of
Hoodia species in the development of an appetite suppressant. Journal of World Intellectual
Property, 7, 851–876.
Table 3. Exploring Hoodia gordonii: from naturalist to pharmacist.
Questions to Explore Relevant Sites
What are the different kinds
of this plant? Where can you
find the plant? What are its
• Mid-Atlantic Herbaria Consortium: http://midatlanticherbaria.org/portal/taxa/index.php?
• South African National Biodiversity Institute: http://www.sanbi.org/gardens/kirstenbosch/
• Global Biodiversity Information Facility: https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search?
Where have scientists
located/studied this plant?
What can we learn about the
nature of science? Which
observations were made?
• iNaturalist: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=489647
What are derivatives of H.
gordonii? What can we learn
about the P57 chemical
derived from H. gordonii?
• NIH: U.S.Na tional Library of Medicine/National Center for Biotechnology Information: https://
• U.S. Food & Drug Administration: https://www.fda.gov
What drugs have been
created from H. gordonii?
What were the side effects,
clinical trials, and findings?
What were the roles of
companies? What is the role
• Regulations.gov: https://www.regulations.gov
• Federal Trade Commission: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/042-3127/